Kotlik Teen Arrested after Stabbing Two Victims During School Lockdown

19-year-old Rick Andrews. Image-FB Profiles
19-year-old Rick Andrews. Image-FB Profiles

Alaska State Troopers received a report of a Kotlik teen walking around the village with a large knife at just before 1 pm on Friday, AST revealed on Saturday.

Following the initial call to troopers on Friday afternoon, the principal of the Kotlik School observed 19-year-old Rick Andrews making his way to the school with the large knife and immediately initiated a lockdown before transmitting the lockdown on the VHS radio.

According to the report, the principal managed to lock the doors just before Andrews made it to the main entrance. Troopers report that at that point, Andrews began hitting the door trying to gain entry while making “verbal threats to the principal wanting to kill him and stab him.”

Meanwhile, troopers had boarded an aircraft and were responding to Kotlik.

Andrews, after not being able to gain entry through the main entrance, got upset and began to walk around the building to find another way into the school. As Andrews was looking for entry, two persons, a male and female arrived at the scene and attempted to assist but were both stabbed in the chest and stomach by Andrews. One of the stabbing victims managed to get the knife away from Andrews and throw the knife into a pond nearby.[xyz-ihs snippet=”adsense-body-ad”]”Andrews fled the scene leaving the victims on the boardwalk,” troopers say.

A short time later, two other people saw Andrews and subdued him without further incident. He was held until the arrival of responding troopers. When troopers arrived, they placed Andrews under arrest and the lockdown was lifted.

See also  Third Annual Alaska Sustainable Energy Conference Charts Course for Alaska's Energy Future

The knife was recovered from the pond where it had been thrown.

Besides the two stabbings, no other injuries were reported. The two stabbing victims were initially treated at the Kotlik Clinic before being flown out by LifeMed to YKHC in Bethel.

Andrews was transported to the Yukon Kuskokwim Correctional Center on two counts of Assault II and one count of Assault III.