APD Issues Apology to Vehicle Owner Sought on Warrant after Black Angus Arrests on February 29th


UPDATE: On Thursday, Anchorage police released an update concerning the arrests made in the Black Angus parking lot where Keith Tracey and Louis Tavaras were taken into custody and it was announced that Krystie L. Stevenson was being sought on a warrant for Felony Evading and Fail to Stop.

Following APD’s announcement, Stevenson contacted the department and explained to them that at the time the warrant alleged she committed the crimes she was not even in the state. She was able to provide proof that she was not present and also showed that she had sold the vehicle prior to the incident.

APD reviewed the case and said, “it’s been determined that the officer ID’d Stevenson as the driver in good faith as the vehicle was still registered in Stevenson’s name and the suspect driver was very similar in appearance to Stevenson.” The department also released a statement saying, “APD sincerely apologies to Ms. Stevenson for the mistaken identity and for any problems this incident may have caused her.”

ORIGINAL: Two persons out of five in a vehicle checked in the Black Angus parking lot on Saturday morning were placed under arrest and the owner sought after a brief investigation APD stated on Monday.

A day-shift patrol officer observed a 2018 Jeep Cherokee in the parking lot on Gambell and ran the plates at 7:25 am, according to the APD report. The registration for the vehicle was found to be expired and the owner was shown to be wanted on a felony warrant.

The officer approached the vehicle with five occupants and spoke with the driver. The officer saw that the driver was showing signs of impairment and additional officers were called in. When those officers arrived and made contact with the vehicle, they saw that weapons were on board that included nunchucks and a sword.

See also  This Day in Alaskan History-June 15th, 1921

The driver was asked to step out of the vehicle and identify himself. After providing a false name, the driver, later identified as 40-year-old Keith J. Tracey, got out of the vehicle and immediately tried to make good an escape, but an officer grabbed Tracey. Tracey, in turn, elbowed the officer in the face causing injuries.

Tracey was taken to ground as the officers attempted to detain him, and he continued to resist and was tazed. Despite being tazed, Tracey continued to fight and bit one of the officers in the leg. Eventually, Tracey was cuffed and detained but continued to give the officers a false name.

Other officers arrived at the scene and detained the passengers in the vehicle that were trying to leave the scene.

A closer look at the vehicle would discover syringes, some loaded, an open bottle of alcohol and a pellet pistol. The vehicle was impounded and a search warrant requested.

Tracey was transported to the Anchorage Correctional Facility, and after a warrant was issued for a blood draw, one was administered. During booking, three baggies, containing meth, heroin and cocaine were found on his person. Tracey was charged with Operating under the Influence, two counts of Assault, Resisting, Providing False Information, and Promoting Contraband I.

One of the four passengers, 41-year-old Louis C. Tavares, was found to have a felony warrant for his arrest, and so was also remanded. The other three passengers were released without charges.

The owner of the Jeep, 27-year-old Krystie L. Stevenson, was not present when the incident occurred. But, it would be found that she had a felony warrant for her arrest for Felony Eluding and Failure to Stop. She is described as 5-foot3 weighing 150 pounds. She has brown hair and blue eyes.

See also  This Day in Alaskan History-June 13th, 1994

Anyone with information regarding Stevenson’s whereabouts is asked to call Police Dispatch at 3-1-1 (option #1).  To remain anonymous you may contact Crime Stoppers at 561-STOP or online at www.anchoragecrimestoppers.com.