Kodiak Police Release Victim’s Name More Details in Saint Herman Harbor Shooting

The Kodiak Saint Herman Harbor was the scene of a fatal shooting on Sunday morning.
The Kodiak Saint Herman Harbor was the scene of a fatal shooting on Sunday morning.

The Kodiak Police Department released the name of the victim in the Saint Herman harbor homicide in Kodiak, as well as released additional details in the Sunday morning shooting case in that city on Monday.

According to the release made by the department, the shooting victim aboard the m/v Katherine on L float at the Saint Herman harbor was identified as Welton Daniel Albers, age 25, of Houston, Texas.

The police revealed that at 12:40 am on Sunday morning, they received a 911 call from 26-year-old Everett Grass “who was heard frantically pleading for officer assistance as he had just witnessed his friend shot several times.” 

Shortly after Grass informed police that his friend had been shot aboard the “Katherine,” they received a second 911 call from 28-year-old Matt Bowe, he told police that he had shot Albers, but informed them that he had shot Albers in self-defense. 

When police responded to the harbor, they were met by another man, who was identified as 26-year-old Travis Biocic, who informed the officers that Bowe had shot and killed Albers and that both men were still aboard the “Katherine.”

When they arrived at the vessel, police reported that, via the police dispatch, Bowe had been given directions to give himself up, which he did upon their arrival. Bowe told police on-scene that “I shot Dan in self-defense, I killed him.” It was at that time that Bowe was advised of his Miranda Rights, police say.[xyz-ihs snippet=”adsense-body-ad”]

Another witness, 21-year-old Nicole Katelnikoff was also found aboard the vessel when officers arrived. She would later tell police that the two men had been arguing prior to the shooting.

See also  US Government Facing Possible Partial Shutdown Starting Sunday

Officers located Albers halfway out of the crew’s stateroom that Albers and Bowe shared, down and unresponsive. He had suffered five gunshots to his torso and arm.

Albers was transported to Providence Kodiak Medical Center, but was pronounced deceased upon arrival. Bowe and the three witnesses were transported to the Kodiak Police Department, where they were interviewed. Following the interviews, Bowe was charged with Murder I.

When police secured the scene aboard the vessel, they located a “a loaded AR-15 assault rifle” in the galley near where Albers was found, along with five spent .223 caliber rounds. They also located an unloaded 12-gauge shotgun on the back deck of the vessel.

During the investigation, police would find that Bowe had been fired from the vessel on Saturday, the day before the shooting. Police also stated that Bowe had been drinking and had admitted to investigators that he had had “several drinks throughout the day.”[xyz-ihs snippet=”Adversal-468×60”]