Nome firefighters, in five fire response vehicles, fought an apartment blaze for nearly two hours before getting it under control at approximately 9 pm on Thursday night.
Nome firefighters arrived at the scene at about 7:10 pm on Thursday night, to find the eight unit apartment building, owned by the Bering Straits Native Corporation, in flames on the first and second floor in one of the units of the building. The firefighters responded to the scene within five minutes of the first reports of fire.
EMS responded minutes later to usher two victims suffering from smoke inhalation, to the Norton Sound Regional Hospital.
Power was cut to the building as power lines connected to the structure began to smolder and melt.
Firefighters attempted to enter the building an hour later, but were forced back out of the structure. Almost an hour would pass before they could attempt another entry, this one successful.
The Aurora Inn, another BSNC establishment opened its doors to the 200-odd victims who were made homeless by the blaze.
Donations for the occupants of the gutted building are requested and would be very welcome.